Saturn V Rollout checklist
Project Apollo - NASSP simulates not only the Apollo flights but also the rollout of the Saturn V launch vehicle to the launch pad. The rollout of the Saturn 1B or other launch vehicles isn't supported yet. To do a realistic rollout without sinking into the launch pads Artlav's great Meshland plugin is used, which provides collision detection with surface base meshes.
The Crawler Transporter
The Crawler Transporter (CT) is the most important vessel during rollout and prelaunch. It's used to move the Saturn on the Mobile Launcher (ML) from the VAB to the launch pad (and back, if necessary). The Crawler Transporter is also used to move the Mobile Service Structure (MSS) from it's parking position to the pad and back. The Crawler Transporter is controlled by the following keys:
|<NUMPAD> +||Accelerate forward (stops when velocity is zero)|
|<NUMPAD> -||Accelerate backward (stops when velocity is zero)|
|<NUMPAD> 1||Turn left|
|<NUMPAD> 3||Turn right|
|<NUMPAD> 5 or <NUMPAD> 2||Center the steering|
|J||Attach/detach ML or MSS (only when stopped)|
|<NUMPAD> 7||Open/close VAB high bay door 1|
|<NUMPAD> 8||Open/close VAB high bay door 3|
While in internal cockpit view you can switch between different camera positions with the following keys (main keypad, not numpad). The velocity and driving direction of the Crawler Transporter can only be changed while using the front or rear driver's cabin. For both driver's cabins the speed display shows the current velocity of the crawler im mph and the steering wheel shows the current steering angle.
|1||Front driver's cabin view|
|2||Rear driver's cabin view|
|3||On the ML (when attached)|
|5||Front gangway view|
|6||Rear gangway view|
|7||Right-rear gangway view|
Of course you can do the rollout after you assembled the Saturn completely, but you can also start with the rollout directly. To do that please start the "Apollo 11 - Rollout" scenario in the "Project Apollo - NASSP\Apollo - Historical Missions\Apollo 11" folder. The scenario starts one day before launch, the crawler is parking in front of the VAB with the Saturn on the ML inside.
- Open the VAB high bay door by pressing "<NUMPAD> 7". It takes a few minutes until the door is fully open.
- Press "2" to change to the rear driver cabin of the Crawler Transporter while in internal cockpit view, then drive the CT under the ML, stop and attach the ML by pressing "J". You can attach the ML when you are close enough and stopped.
- Now press "1" to change to the front driver cabin of the Crawler Transporter while in internal cockpit view and drive to the pad. Since the CT is quite slow especially with the ML attached, use time acceleration if you don't want to wait.
- If you're close enough to the launch pad and stopped you can detach the ML by pressing "J" again, the Saturn V is now in launch position. You can reattach the ML with the Saturn until 3 hours before launch, after that's the Saturn is fuelled (you'll notice the fuel vents) and cannot be moved any more.
The Mobile Service Structure
After the rollout the Mobile Service Structure (MSS) was moved to the pad for final works on the Saturn and moved back to parking position before launch. In Project Apollo - NASSP it's not necessary for the launch to use the MSS, but if you want to do it like the real thing, you'll hopefully like it.
- Drive the Crawler Transporter back to the MSS parking position, then move the CT under the MSS, stop and attach the MSS. You can attach the MSS when you are close enough and stopped.
- Now again change driving direction and drive to the pad. Since the CT is quite slow especially with the MSS attached, so use time acceleration if you don't want to wait.
- If you're close enough to the launch pad and stopped you can detach the MSS. Now you can drive the crawler back to parking position. But before launch you should come back, attach the MSS when you're close enough and stopped and move the MSS back to parking position.
Prelaunch and Liftoff
The automatic prelaunch sequence of the ML and the LUT (Launch Umbilical Tower) starts 3 hours before launch with moving the Hammerhead Crane to launch position.
- At T-43min (that means 43 min before launch) the Crew Access Arm is moved to park position.
- At T-5min the Crew Access Arm is fully retracted.
- At T-30s the S-IC Intertank Arm is retracted.
- At T-16.2s the S-IC Forward Arm is retracted.
- At T-0s the remaining swingarms and the service masts are retracted, LIFTOFF!